Secure Online Ordering Guaranteed!
The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
Michael Useem with a foreword by Warren Bennis
LS Price: $10.85
You Save: $5.10 (32%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours
Format: Paperback, 336pp.
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Pub. Date: New Edition November 2, 1999
Average Customer Review:
Order This Book!|
Secure Order Guarantee
Item No: 9780812932300
Description and Reviews
From The Publisher:
Are you ready for the leadership moment?
- Merck's Roy Vagelos commits millions of dollars to develop a drug needed only by people who can't afford it
- Eugene Kranz struggles to bring the Apollo 13 astronauts home after an explosion rips through their spacecraft
- Arlene Blum organizes the first women's ascent of one of the world's most dangerous mountains
- Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain leads his tattered troops into a pivotal Civil War battle at Little Round Top
- John Gutfreund loses Salomon Brothers when his inattention to a trading scandal almost topples the Wall Street giant
- Clifton Wharton restructures a $50 billion pension system direly out of touch with its customers
- Alfredo Cristiani transforms El Salvador's decade-long civil war into a negotiated settlement
- Nancy Barry leads Women's World Banking in the fight against Third World poverty
- Wagner Dodge faces the decision of a lifetime as a fast-moving forest fire overtakes his firefighting crew
"Gripping adventure and actionable advice . . . Useem not only takes us into the experiences of others but also draws out striking lessons."
"One thoughtful work like this is worth a ton of new-age, self-help tomes that are high on fluff and low on scholarship."
—San Francisco Chronicle
"A really good story is a time-honored way to show how leaders respond to extreme challenges [and] that's what Michael Useem delivers."
Send us your favorite quotes or passages from this book.
About the Author
Michael Useem is the director of the Center for Leadership and Change Management at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, where he is also the William and Jacalyn Egan Professor of Management. He regularly leads Wharton graduates on leadership treks to the Himalayas.
Table of Contents
|1||Roy Valegos Attacks River Blindness|
|2||Wagner Dodge Retreats in Mann Gulch|
|3||Eugene Kranz Returns Apollo 13 to Earth|
|4||Arlene Blum Ascends Annapurna|
|5||Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain Defends Little Round Top|
|6||Clifton Wharton Restructures TIAA-CREF|
|7||John Gutfreund Loses Salomon Inc.|
|8||Nancy Barry Builds Women's World Banking|
|9||Alfredo Cristiani Ends El Salvador's Civil War|
Write your own online review.
Find Items On Similar Subjects
The Go Point: When It's Time to Decide—Knowing What to Do and When to Do It