Secure Online Ordering Guaranteed!
Comebacks: Powerful Lessons from Leaders Who Endured Setbacks and Recaptured Success on Their Terms
Andrea Redmond and Patricia Crisafulli
LS Price: $19.00
You Save: $8.95 (32%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Format: Hardcover, 256pp.
Pub. Date: April 26, 2010
Average Customer Review:
Order This Book!|
Secure Order Guarantee
Item No: 9780470583753
Description and Reviews
From The Publisher:
Comebacks features an all-star cast of ten business leaders who have endured career setbacks—for some a public fall in the midst of extreme media scrutiny—then reassessed and moved ahead with new purpose. Based on revealing interviews, the profiles in the book provide a behind-the-headlines glimpse into the lives of seasoned leaders, showing how they drew upon resources, both internal and external, to navigate their way forward and to learn leadership and life lessons that allowed them to redefine success. Together, the ten profiles reveal that all leaders face adversity, but true leaders turn adversity into success—and redefine success through their leadership. High-profile leaders featured include:
In turbulent economic times, when careers are derailed by layoffs and leaders are forced to rewrite their professional plans, Comebacks offers introspection that enlightens as well as uplifts. Honest and soul-searching, the stories in Comebacks will resonate with anyone who is experiencing a reversal, is disillusioned by career choices, or is exploring new paths that are better aligned with their values and priorities.
- Jamie Dimon, renowned chairman and CEO of JPMorgan Chase who, at the peak of his career with Citigroup, was fired as president.
- Former HP chair Patricia Dunn who, after a corporate espionage scandal hit the company, resigned as chairman and then faced felony charges while battling cancer. Completely exonerated, she is now active in philanthropic work.
- Former Baxter International CEO Harry Kraemer who, after twenty-two years at the pharmaceutical firm, had to step down after the company scaled back its earnings forecasts. He is now a highly regarded business professor at Northwestern University and an executive partner in a private equity firm.
- Former Ford Motor Company CEO Jacques Nasser who, forced to resign from the automaker after devoting years to the company, has recently assumed the prestigious position of chairman of BHP Billiton, the world's largest natural resources company.
- Former founder and CEO of JetBlue David Neeleman who, asked to step down after a series of weather-related delays in 2007 caused an uproar among passengers and consumers, has moved on to found a new airline in Brazil.
Send us your favorite quotes or passages from this book.
About the Authors
Andrea Redmond is a well-regarded consultant who works with select clients including corporate boards, CEOs, and private investors on executive recruiting, management assessment, and succession needs. Prior to that, she spent twenty years with a global executive recruiting firm. As an expert in CEO selection, she recruited CEOs for several Fortune 500 companies. She serves on the Board of Directors of Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Hospital, and the Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center. In January 2010 Andrea joined the Board of Directors of The Allstate Corporation.
Patricia Crisafulli is an accomplished writer, ghost-writer, and author who has written numerous books, including The House of Dimon, a leadership profile of JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. A former business journalist, Crisafulli was a correspondent and deputy equities editor in the Chicago bureau of Reuters America. Her articles have appeared in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe, and other national newspapers.
Table of Contents
|Introduction: When the Rug Gets Pulled|
|1||David Neeleman: When It's Time to Move On|
|2||David Pottruck: A Portrait in Candor|
|3||Patricia Dunn: Trial by Fire|
|4||Christopher Galvin: The Power of Resilience|
|5||Herbert "Pug" Winokur: After the Storm|
|6||Harry M. Jansen Kraemer, Jr.: Values-Based Leadership|
|7||Jacques "Jac" Nasser: New Life After a Long Career|
|8||Durk Jager: Peace of Mind and Walking Away|
|9||Jamie Dimon: The Ultimate Comeback|
|10||Dale Dawson: Pursuing a Life of Passion|
|About the Authors|
Write your own online review.
Find Items On Similar Subjects
Firing Back: How Great Leaders Rebound After Career Disasters