Secure Online Ordering Guaranteed!
Developing Leadership Abilities (2nd Edition)
Arthur H. Bell and Dayle M. Smith
LS Price: $23.11
You Save: $1.22 (5%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours.
Format: Paperback, 160pp.
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Pub. Date: 2 edition - July 25, 2009
Average Customer Review:
Order This Book!|
Secure Order Guarantee
Item No: 9780137152780
Description and Reviews
From The Publisher:
"What kind of leader am I? What kind of leader will I become?" Developing Leadership Abilities, Second Edition was written to help college students get on the fast track to becoming a leader. Providing dozens of practical examples, the book moves quickly while giving an organized, readable, and logical analysis of leadership. The book offers the following pedagogical tools to help students reach their own leadership potential:
The book is brief enough to keep student interest and is based on solid empirical data. The book's conversational and interactive format answers the q uestions: what makes a leader, what do leaders do, and how do leaders overcome problems?
- Insights Boxes--throughout the chapters ensure that key points stand out.
- Your Turn features--give frequent opportunities to record personal experiences, insights, impressions, and questions.
- Meet a Leader-- Introduces the reader successful leaders college and career environments.
- Personal Leadership Plan--Helps students hone their skills in the leadership realm.
- Assess Your Approach to Leadership --This brief exercise gives students an opportunity for self-reflection and a mirror on how their own background will affect their leadership qualities.
- Summary--Located at the end of each chapter, reinforces the key points.
What makes a great leader?
What do leaders do? How do leaders overcome problems? Developing Leadership Abilities, Second Edition, gives the answers to these questions andteaches the specific skills that matter most for those assuming a leadership role. The step-by-step approach helps extend and refine leadership insights and techniques. This brief and fast paced book tells college students what they need to know to be leaders, in school and later in the working world. The book provides dozens of practical examples and many opportunities for students to record their own experiences, insights, impressions, and questions. The authors present current, crucial ideas about leadership such as:
Readers of this book will be on the fast track towards gaining the skills to become a leader now and prepare these skill sets for future success as leaders--in and out of business.
- How to tell when leadership–including your own–is in danger of faltering
- How to delegate to those who are unwilling to take on new responsibilities
- How to adjust your leadership style to small groups and teams
- How to be a “leader of oneself” as a prerequisite for leading others
- How to be flexible in changing circumstances
- How to transition between the roles of leader and follower
- How to use emotional intelligence as part of your leadership strategies
- Why gender, culture, and other factors must be considered and understood by successful leaders
- How leadership responsibilities can be distributed throughout the organization
- How leaders can act swiftly to resolve conflict
- How social networking, YouTube, cell phones, and other technologies have influenced leadership options.
Send us your favorite quotes or passages from this book.
About the Authors
Arthur H. Bell holds his Ph.D. from Harvard University and is Executive Director of MBA Programs and Professor of Management Communication at the University of San Francisco. He is the author of 47 books on management, communication, language, and literature. He held previous teaching positions at Georgetown University and the University of Southern California.
Dayle M. Smith holds her Ph.D. from the Annenberg School, University of South California. She is Director of the Business Honors Program and Professor of Management at the University of San Francisco. She is the author of 12 books on management theory and practice. She held previous teaching positions at Georgetown University and the University of Southern California.
Table of Contents
Write your own online review.
Find Items On Similar Subjects
Book on Leadership